DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Civil Engineers create, improve and protect the environment in which we live. The Department of Civil engineering is a professional Engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. The objective of the B.E graduate program in Civil Engineering is to provide the students good understanding of civil Engineering solutions in a global, societal and environmental context, consistent with the principles of sustainable development. The course will make the students capable of identifying, formulating and solving Civil Engineering problems that meet specified performance, cost, time, safety and other quality needs and objectives with professional and ethical responsibility.
The Department vision is to achieve national and international recognition through innovation in Civil Engineering education and research.Our vision includes our department being collaborative and welcoming environment in which to learn and work.
The Department of Civil Engineering provides an educational, professional, and intellectual experience that enables a diverse body of students, faculties, and staffs to contribute to the society through knowledge, teaching, research, practice, and service.
- Surveying Laboratory
- To perform horizontal measurements, traditional transits using steel taping
- To perform angular measurements using Theodolites
- To perform elevation measurements using Levelling instruments
- To use total station equipment, which enables horizontal, vertical, and angular measurements to be made in one operation
- To use Global Positioning System (GPS) for performing differential GPS surveys
- Hydraulic Engineering Laboratory
- To explore the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics through experimentation
- To demonstrate and analyze key hydraulic phenomena using hands-on physical devices
- To investigate engineering design principles for pipe networks, open channel systems, and ground water regimes.
- Strength of Materials Laboratory
- To demonstrate the basic principles in the area of strength and mechanics of materials and structural analysis to the undergraduate students.
- To measure the properties of the materials such as impact strength, tensile strength, compressive strength, hardness, ductility etc.
- Concrete & Highway Laboratory
- To determine the physical properties of building construction materials like cement, fine and coarse aggregate, steel, wood, and strength characteristics of cement mortar, plain cement concrete and reinforced cement concrete.
- To determine the specific gravity, fineness, normal consistency, setting times, workability and soundness of cement, fineness modulus of fine and coarse aggregate, strength of cement mortar, cement concrete and bricks, tensile test on steel rods, bending and flexural strength on concrete.
- To infer the suitability of materials for construction.
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- To determine all relevant characteristics and to assess different types of soil.
- To enable the student to determine soil parameters along with pore water pressure and volume changes using Direct Shear, Permeability apparatus.
- Environmental Engineering Laboratory
- To support research and teaching activities of the Environmental Engineering programs.
- To carry out simple to sophisticated experiments using analytical instruments and facilities
- To work on the biodegradation of contaminants, waste water treatment technologies, determination of organic and inorganic contamination in soil and water
- AutoCAD Laboratory
- To define the technical drawing
- To identify the concepts of computer aided design
- To generate 2D drawings using AutoCAD
- To generate a 3D model using AutoCAD
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- To give the students hands-on experience in fundamental and advanced concepts, from the Bernoulli Principle to boundary layer flows and fluid power machinery.
SOCIAL ACTIVITIES BY THE DEPARTMENT
- TREE PLANTATION PROGRAMME:
Venue:Car free Sunday, Sai Baba colony, Coimbatore
Chief Guest:Dr. Vijay Karthikeyan. IAS Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner
2. VILLAGE ADOPTION PROGRAMME:
Venue: Kondayampalayam Village
Event: Free Medical Camp
Chief Guest:Vikram ENT Hospital & Research centre Team,RS Puram&Sankara Eye hospital Team, Coimbatore
3.EDUDHARMA-SOCIAL CAPITAL SWACH BHARAT MISSION:
Inauguration Date:February 7, 2017
Venue: Sriguru Institute of Technology
Chief Guest:Mr.Mohammad Ali, Mr.Shyam-EduDharama Team &Er.B.Suresh, Deputy General Manager, Chettinad Cement Corporation